October 26, 2011
Video Marketing Expert Steve Washer is a guest blogger here from time to time, and now he has some news worth crowing about. He submitted a video for contest consideration and won.
Here are some key takeaways from Steve’s video that you can take to the bank when you apply them to your video marketing advantage:
- Video marketing isn’t about communication, but rather it’s about infection.
- The lion’s share of business goes to companies that know their customers’ pain better than the customers do.
- Directly address your customers’ deepest fears and hopes.
I love it when friends, colleagues, and clients of mine are seen, heard, and celebrated for the magic they bring to the marketplace. Now, the key is for Steve to leverage his good news to make even more magic happen.
Here are a few tips to help Steve leverage his good news, and you can apply these suggestions to your own advantage if you have something to crow about.
- Share your news with influential bloggers who can reach an even wider audience of people who will be interested in your tips and the prospect of benefiting from your expertise.
- Share the good news via social media and invite people to Re-Tweet. Video is engaging and persuasive, and it can go “viral” to everyone’s advantage.
- Make the news relevant to your people. Yes, it’s exciting that you’ve won an award. What is cooler is that you’ve shared information they can use to make the most of video to grow their businesses. This is a hot topic, and everyone needs to know more about that.
- Share the video in your next ezine or blog post.
- Get in touch with your local business journal to find out if a column about making the most of video to build business would be of service to the readers. Follow up, get to YES, and make your submission so your stellar guidance can travel far and wide to more of the right people. If you want to learn how to pitch an article the media can’t resist, I’ve got a sassy audio file posted here to give you the high points.
- Don’t stop with the local business journal. Consider reaching out to specific trade journals — perhaps Investment News or Speaker Magazine — to make the same suggestion. Tailor the trade focused submission to meet the needs of the readership, and extend a golden lasso around a much wider audience of perfect people who will want to engage with your expertise via your group programs and other services.
- Now that you’ve won this award, you can update your bio to say you are an award-winning entrepreneur. Mention the award you won so it doesn’t read like puff. Proof is so much better than puff, and “specifics are terrific” as my buddy Liz Goodgold likes to say.
- A press release that explains how to be among the rare few who use video well to make their impact and offers the specifics about how to do that could be very useful and earn some readers. In the “boilerplate” paragraph at the end of the release, mention this recent award as a way to reinforce your credibility. Be sure to offer a call to action in this final paragraph that guides readers to opt-in to your ezine or call for more expert guidance.
- Consider placing an advertisement on Help a Reporter. This media query service reaches 200,000 people — many of whom are quite serious about getting known to get paid. The folks at HARO tell me their emails boast a 60% open rate. Learning how to use video to achieve that is likely on the minds of many of these fine folks. You can purchase a one-time ad to reach the entire list for around $1500, or you can purchase a segmented list — say, for example, just the business audience — for around $300. This ads are the first thing you see when you get the query feed, and they are written in a pithy style that is a close match to yours, Steve. This might be worth a really good effort because video isn’t going away, and you are leading the pack for doing it well and right. After all, you just won an award for this, and the proof is in the delivery. You are the master at this.
Since overwhelm can be a challenge for business owners who are feeling the joy of their accomplishments, let me stop with just these nine ideas for inspired action.
Remember, one good thing leads to another. One day you are seen, heard, and celebrated for delivering high impact advice on a video that helps you win an award. The next, you could be seen, heard, and celebrated everywhere your ideal clients pay attention so they will want to beat a path to your door to compensate you for helping them to have what you are having. Aren’t you intoxicated by that prospect? I hope so! Rock on, my friend. Rock on.
Oh, by the way, are you interested in learning more from Steve Washer and benefiting from his talents to your business building advantage? Visit his site at www.brainyvideo.com. Tell him I sent you. I know that will make him grin.
Happy video marketing, one and all.
October 18, 2011
Last week, I had a great conversation with Action Plan Marketing Founder Robert Middleton. He said he wanted to start writing articles to serve the right media and wanted to know if I had any suggestions. Knowing his expertise guiding professional service providers and management consultants to enroll high end clients, I immediately suggested he make a pitch to RainToday. This online newsletter reaches that audience with insightful articles to support their success. In fact, the media kit for RainToday says the site reaches 100,000 marketing and sales buyers .
As the largest provider of information and tools on B2B services marketing and sales, RainToday is an indispensable resource for marketers, business developers, and owners of small and medium-sized businesses looking to grow. RainToday.com, the Top Sales Resource Site of 2010, is the premier online source for insight, advice, and tools for growing professional services businesses. Marketers, rainmakers, and leaders in consulting, accounting, law, AEC, marketing, advertising and PR, training, financial, IT, and other professional services industries, turn to RainToday.com for research, tools, training programs, and recommendations to help them market and sell their services.
This is a perfect venue for Robert’s expertise to add value and bring him to the attention of the right people who can benefit from how he serves.
We talked about who to call and what to say. The, it must have been moments later before Robert was taking action. (The Action Plan Marketing Founder walks his own talk about Action!)
He found out the right person to approach by visiting the website. He made his pitch. He got to YES. He crafted an insightful article. His article is now posted to this influential site. The title is Follow-Up Phone Calls: Get More Sales Meetings Using This 5-Step Process.
The Lessons Robert is Modeling:
1) Know what you want.
2) Ask for insights to get there faster from someone who is “in the know.”
3) Take action on what you learn.
4) Get what you want.
It’s really not that hard.
What do you want? What actions will you take to get what you want?
Of course, if you need a little help to learn the “how,” you can engage with me. The Build Your Buzz Strategy Sessions I offer guide you to success faster without spinning your wheels, and that is a beautiful thing. Robert is benefiting as this article placement demonstrates. You will, too. The next session of the Broadcast Your Brilliance Webinar Series is gearing up to start again in January of 2012.
And, if you want to learn something new THIS WEEK, be sure to come to the Seattle W Hotel this Thursday, October 20 starting at 5:30 p.m. to hear me speak LIVE about how to pitch an article the media can’t resist. Here is the link to claim one of the last remaining 50 spaces. See you there.
October 14, 2011
Bye-Bye Boring Bio Success Story
We are nearing the time of year with “New Year, New You” messages are going to be very timely. That is why Body Image Mastery Coach Laura Fenamore is putting some emphasis on getting her story together to share with the world in perfect timing as a participant in the fall session of the Broadcast Your Brilliance Webinar Series. When she shared her bio with me earlier in the week, it was pretty good. And, I could see some ways to make it a whole lot better.
Here is the BEFORE version:
Laura Fenamore, CPCC, is the CEO of Body Image Mastery, LLC and founder of OnePinky.com, a global online community that extends support and friendship to women who wish to change the way they feel about themselves and their bodies. Her forthcoming book Weightless: A Body Image Revolution, a memoir/self-help book is currently in submission for publication and her 12-week Body Image Mastery Course supports her private coaching practice. She lives a healthy, joyful life of faith and gratitude in Northern California.
- This bio is packed with alphabet soup that may not be easily understood by every reader.
- There detail about seeking a publisher isn’t super interesting.
- No proof is noted for the impact of her programs.
- Her personal story is missing along with a call to action to make it possible for her to monetize her visibility.
With a few important edits, the new bio is much stronger.
Here is the AFTER version:
Body Image Mastery Coach Laura Fenamore is on a mission to guide women around the world to love what they see in the mirror, one pinky at a time, so they can unlock the secrets to a healthy weight and start loving their lives as soon as possible.
Her popular Body Image Mastery program is celebrated by hundreds of women who have lost weight, reclaimed self-esteem, and started bold, happy lives with Laura and her proven programs as their guide.
Having overcome her own battle with addiction, obesity, and eating disorders, Laura released over 100 pounds 24 years ago to begin a journey to guide other women to live more joyous, balanced lives. The author of the forthcoming book Weightless: a Body Image Revolution and a frequent contributor to local and national media – including First for Women magazine and the Dr. Pat Show, Laura believes that self love and care is where the transformation begins. Learn more about her programs, invite her to speak or contribute to your program or conference, or place pre-orders for her book today at onepinky.com.
Laura’s work is life changing for women who struggle with weight loss and negative body image. She offers a free eBook and Audio that offer “Simple Strategies to Start Losing Weight Today.” Check it out on her home page.
Action Suggestion for Today: Take a look at your story and make sure you make clear your particular brand of WOW so your ideal clients will want to do business with you right NOW. Why wait a moment longer?
October 7, 2011
Bye-Bye Boring Bio Success Story, Event Promotion
Alison Marks has a website called 6 Figure Home Office, and she also hosts a series of interviews called “Success Talks with Alison Marks.” During these interviews, she asks successful business owners questions like:
- How is your desk set up?
- How do you keep email and social media from eating up your day?
- How do you organize your files?
- What does your to-do list look like?
Her mission is to guide home based business owners to get more done in less time. If that isn’t a cause worth fighting for, I don’t know what is!
I’ll be her guest for the November 15 program, and I am really looking forward to it.
When Alison asked for my bio, yes, she wanted the professional bio that is ready 24/7 on the “about” page of my site. And, she wanted a more personal bio that would speak to my life as a home based business owner.
Since Morgana Rae has kicked me in the behind about apologizing for being a suburban soccer mom ( video, no less!), I’ve written a new, more personal bio that I can share for situations where this style of message is relevant to the opportunity.
Nancy transformed from “desperate housewife” to “PR and Storytelling Diva” by taking her own advice. Since 2001, she has generously shared her tips, resources, workshops, and programs while working comfortably from her Bellevue, Washington home office — often while wearing pajamas. As disciplined about her work habits as she is about creating great results for clients and her own brand and reputation, she is most proud of her almost 25-year marriage to Steve Juetten and the good job they are doing so far raising their 14-year-old son. Both work from home offices and are at the ready to support both clients and family needs at a moment’s notice and without apology. Their adorable Cockapoo puppy “Champ” adds some welcome and wonderful chaos to their lives.
October 7, 2011
If you want to earn your worth, attract more clients, and master the inner game of business, be sure to register for the Self-Employment Telesummit taking place October 17-21. Here is a link to a press release with all the juicy details. It’s free to participate and priceless to benefit.
October 6, 2011
I’d love to meet up with you and others you know who are eager to meet your friends, connect with fabulous colleagues, and learn something new to bring your business into the spotlight. Come on along to the last official meet up of the Seattle LinkedIn Group at the Seattle W Hotel on October 20 at 5:30 p.m. You can save your place by visiting this link. Believe it or not, it is just $5 to attend. Such a deal! I am told hundreds of people have already registered, so come on along.
October 2, 2011
Event Promotion, Local Publicity, Special Savings
Last week, I heard from Clark Roberts, who successfully earned a fabulous story in the Bellevue Reporter as a direct result of lessons I taught him that he put into immediate action to the benefit of his speaking career and his upcoming personal appearances. He is a blind man with a powerful message about seeing unlimited possibilities. Thanks to the influential media exposure he made happen by practicing lessons and step by step actions I shared with him, many more possibilities are opening up to him now that his message has traveled with impact in his Bellevue backyard.
I also heard from Dennis Williams, founder and creator of the Cash Map Application. He said that the press release he issued over the wire resulted is six times more web traffic than is typical for him. That is a great deal more people who are now learning how to manage their positive cash flow to reduce their debt at a time when that outcome is much needed.
It is so thrilling to hear about the successes action oriented business owners are taking to broadcast their brilliance so more of the right people can benefit. If you need a little help in this department, join me for the Broadcast Your Brilliance Webinar Series gearing up to start this Wednesday, October 5 at 11 a.m. PST. Save $100 when you enter “Webinar100” in the coupon code when you buy.
This group webinar series is the highest value, best thing I do for a price that makes good sense for business owners who are tired of being well kept secrets and ready to do something about it. Join us so you can have the visibility, recognition, and prosperity that these and scores and scores of prior graduates are having.